Saquon Apologizes to Giants Fans

 


'Really immature of me'

Saquon Barkley's departure from the New York Giants has been a major focus this offseason. As he starts his first training camp with the Philadelphia Eagles, the standout running back expresses regret for how he parted ways with Giants fans. In an interview with the "Scoop City" podcast, he acknowledged that he was "immature" at the time of his departure.

"I had a goodbye video to Giants fans [and] I don't think I handled that situation right at all," Barkley told Dianna Russini, per NBC Sports. "I said a quick thank you to the Giants fans, but I ... let the hate on Twitter take me away from [a proper farewell], and that was really immature of me, and that's the one thing about that whole process that I kind of regret.

"Because Giants fans still -- I know a lot of them hate me or whatever -- [but] since the day I got drafted, I got a lot of love, I'd see a lot of people in my jersey, [and] I tried to spend as much time as I [could] with them," Barkley continued, "because they showed me a lot of respect. So I think I could have definitely said goodbye in a better way."


Barkley made several posts on social media upon joining Philadelphia, including an Instagram video where his Giants jersey transformed into an Eagles jersey. The former Pro Bowler, whose unsuccessful contract negotiations with New York were also prominently featured on HBO's "Hard Knocks" series, used X (formerly Twitter) to argue that the Giants never made him an official offer to stay with the team immediately after his decision.

This isn't the first time Barkley has tried to make amends with Giants fans since switching teams in the NFC East. He also apologized in March, days after his Eagles signing became official.



"Once I announced [my decision] everything kind of got hectic," Barkley said at the time, per SNY. "I don't think I handled it the right way; I think I could've given a proper goodbye. To the Giants fans who were hurt by me leaving, I have nothing but respect for them. For the last six years, they've been great to me and my family and created so many memories; I am forever grateful and thankful for them."



Visit our site at 12ozsports.com



Comments